Star Control: September 2015 update

By on September 3, 2015 11:25:00 PM from Star Control Forums Star Control Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1478

Greetings!

The team is now fully staffed with the exception of bringing on one additional animator.  It is now, the largest game project currently underway at Stardock across all studios in terms of monthly budget.

For those of you who remember the development of the original Star Control series, you may recall that Paul and Fred worked very closely with fan (SC2 mainly).  In fact, thanks to Paul and Fred we've been able to team up Riku who did most of the best known tracks for Star Control 2 back in 1992 and he's in charge of the new sound track.

Now, that said, we have a number of challenges that we need help with.  I'll list them below.

Challenge #1: IS Star Control Star Control without the Spathi?

To preface this, Stardock has the publishing rights to Star Control classic 1/2/3 plus the trademark.  To use an analogy, Stardock is the publisher of Sins of a Solar Empire (however we don't have the trademark, our friends/partners Ironclad own the trademark).  However, we don't' own the rights to the aliens or the lore.  We have a license to use them for the publishing of Star Control 1/2/3.

We've talked to Paul and Fred who still run Toys for Bobs even to this day.  While they expressed interest in working on a new Star Control, Toys for Bob is now owned by Activision.

In movie terms, it's akin to the way the Marvel comics properties tend to get split up between Sony, Fox, and Marvel Studios (Disney).

The bottom line is that the new Star Control will NOT have the aliens from the original in it.  The most we will likely to is have illusions to them.  We're going to create a new continuity where the Star Control classic continuity (Star Control Ur-Quan) is separate from the new Star Control.

When you visit www.starcontrol.com later this Fall, you will absolutely see both classic and new aliens together since we support both the new Star Control and the original trilogy. We plan to provide a fairly elaborate series of pages to support Paul and Fred's backstory so that it's kept alive for the day when they can return to the Ur-Quan story.

However, the NEW game will not have any of that in it. It'll be all new.

AND

There will be people who will absolutely not accept a new Star Control that doesn't have the Spathi, etc. 

What do you think is the best approach for handling that?

Challenge #2: What IS Star Control?

While game designs are always unique, I'd like to propose that we look at what we are working on together collective as a specific genre (like 4X strategy).

In Star Control's case: It's an action adventure game. Specifically, an action adventure game in which you play as the Earthlings, go out into the galaxy and meet aliens, go on quests, explore planets, and have space battles.

That is what we're in the process of creating.

Challenge #3: Defining some core values

Each person will have their own vision of what they think a new Star Control must contain.  Like I said above, SOME people will absolutely say that Star Control is about the Ur-Quan and the Spathi and so forth. 

For me, it's a bit more general.  I want to interact with really interesting aliens that are well written, funny, charming and try out lots of cool ships, design my own custom ship, etc.  That's why we brought on comedy writers early on and have put a lot of budget behind making sure that we're prepared to record 11 hours of voice acting that will be handle through our engine's lips syncing tech (our engine is made by the some guys who led Civilization V's engineering PLUS additional veterans from around the industry).

Challenge #4: Satisfying the super fans

So how are we going to make the hard core fans happy?

Broadly speaking (without giving too much away) we plan to provide fairly extravagant mod tools. Tools well beyond what has ever been made outside of say Spore.

If you've read "Ready Player One" then you have a pretty good idea of the authoring level we are going for.  We'll be talking a lot more about this as we progress.

The main point is that our goal is to make the Star Control universe all-encompassing. Infinite continuities with OUR included initial campaign just one of an endless number that the community can provide.  If you've seen what the Ur-Quan masters team have done, imagine if they had millions of dollars in engineering hours designated to providing tools and support to ensure that there's a never ending stream of Star Control content.

Anyway, that's where we are now. 

Cheers!

-brad

225 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 4, 2015 12:19:11 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Replace Spathi with a race that resembles the Spathi traits and make it recognizable. It doesn't have to look or called Spathi of course.

It's an action adventure game with significant RPG elements since we live in a role-playing generation now and there's no escaping from it.

Atmosphere of SC2, extremely customize-able Vindicator, space Jesus role. Sense of accomplishment through out the game.

Only care for original story. Make it last, please. 50+ hours of gameplay (completionist level) realistic?

September 4, 2015 3:57:17 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I am really fond of Star Control II, and my opinion is:

Star Control II was a result of creative freedom and great people. When making a new Star Control, I hope you will let yourself be creative and follow your inspirations. Yes, this game will be based on an established concept, but I sincerely hope that you will make use of the parts of the concept that you feel inspired to use. Don't shoehorn in stuff that you feel you "have to have" to satisfy fans - that will not turn out well.

Try to capture some of the same atmosphere as Star Control II, but do as you please in general. 

Best of luck!

September 4, 2015 8:33:52 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Couldn't you just do a rerelease of Starcontrol (since most people under forty will have no idea what that is) in HD with extra levels?

Since the originals that you own would be able to include the original aliens..

September 4, 2015 12:08:22 PM from Star Control Forums Star Control Forums

Quoting wbino49,

Couldn't you just do a rerelease of Starcontrol (since most people under forty will have no idea what that is) in HD with extra levels?

Since the originals that you own would be able to include the original aliens..

I suspect people will use the tools we make to do just that. But we won't be doing that.

September 4, 2015 12:38:38 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Challenge 1 - You know, it's been such a long time since I've played Star Control, I don't really have that much attachment to the original races. A lot of them were kind of corny, to be honest. I think we'd all be better off with more believable (but still as fun) races in the game. 

Challenge 2 - I would HIGHLY recommend spending a couple hours playing Escape Velocity to get a feel for combat and exploration concepts. I can't tell you how awesome that game was. 

Challenge 3 - Again, make the game yours. Don't let yourself get trapped by lore or past concepts. If you're going to make a proper reboot, then do it your way. One of Steve Jobs last words of advice for Tim Cook was to not ask himself what he (Steve) would do when he's in trouble, but to run Apple the best way he saw fit.

Challenge 4 - Once again, I would refer you to Escape Velocity. Ambrosia Software released a plug-in tool that allowed fans to essentially remake the game. In fact, EV Nova (the third game developed) was originally a plug-in. If you're going to do the plug-in route, I would like to see a tool maker kit that allows us to do voice acting, character design, galaxy maker (planets and star systems), sounds, ship designs, music, and anything and everything else your engine can handle. People are still making plug-ins for EV, 14 years after it's release. Let's aim for that. 

September 4, 2015 2:44:01 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

^ What do you mean by "more believable"? SC2 was never believable and that was the part of its charm. You can make it serious like Mass Effect, but then will it be Star Control?...

Steve Jobs also quoted Picasso's infamous quote and I kinda agree with it. There's no reason to reinvent the wheel. If you start "fixing" what's already working you're bound to break it.

I'd like devs to answer a simple question: "Why 'Star Control' name for essentially completely new content?" Marketing reason?

September 4, 2015 6:58:28 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I'd like to add my 2 cents.

Challenge #1: I highly doubt TRUE Star Control II fans will be that upset about the absence of all their favorite races from the first "trilogy". The reason actually goes straight down to the core of what made us all love Star Control II in the first place: It was about discovery. Making the unknown known. Every few systems you jumped to, you would find something incredible, new, unique and mind-blowing that would expand your growing knowledge of the universe. Increase your sphere of knowledge and understand of what's "out there"... well, nothing against a TRUE SEQUEL to Star Control II, but... how would you feel if this new game explored the well-known universe? Filled with aliens you already knew about? The Ilwrath we know to be evil, the Umgah we know to be mischievous, the Pkunk enlightened. To me, that would lose so much of the magic. Sure, it's fun to come across old friends, it's a good feeling! But the most enthralling part of SCII could very well be lost if you mainly encounter species we all already know so much about. They were brilliant, hilarious and more unique than any space lore I've ever come across, but NOW they are KNOWN. Where's the mind-blowing part in that?

So really, I'd treat it more like, I don't know... Mass Effect 4 that's coming out? Shepard and company were central to the first 3 games. All about the Reapers, etc. That part of the story is DONE. Finished. They supposedly won't appear anymore, ever again. But N7 will be part of the 4th game, and while some alien races will be back, there will be new baddies, new conflicts and all new characters. Star Control could be the same.

Same goes with my other favorite science fiction universe - Warhammer 40k and the Segmentum layout they have. Entirely different stories come out of the Segmentum Obscurus than the Segmentum Solar or Segmentum Pacificus. Some deal with Tyrranid, others Chaos, others Orks are the big problem... it's different across the universe. And ours is a huge universe - SCII's system count didn't cover 1/1,000,000,000,000th of the galaxy, much less the other galaxies out there. If the Starmap in SCII was a box like this:

|                           |

Why not shift the view of the galaxy 2 feet to the right, like this (where the X is):

|                           ||                       |

|                           ||           X          |

There could even be a small line of overlap, so that if you're following, would contain some of the UTWIG and DRUUGE territory!! Would be cool to find some Easter Eggs on the planets that overlapped with the new starmap! Besides, the Urquan were defeated in the end of SCII, the threat is over, the galaxy united (or at least there's no one strong enough to overthrow the Alliance of Free Stars)... it's probably pretty boring for awhile, allowing the humans to colonize distant planets. Start the story there.

ORRRRR, if you're really bold!!! Maybe the Kohr-Ah WON their cleansing war against all sentient life in that part of the galaxy, and everyone is dead, except a precursor ship full of humans that filled up on fuel and got as far, far, far away as possible. Surely you have the rights to the HUMANS Anyway, there's my response to Challenge #1... I'll write more later when I have more time. Awesome, so far Brad!

September 4, 2015 7:30:11 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I have to admit that the complete absence of original races is a disappointing thing for me.  It's certainly not a deal breaker, and I love the idea of discovering fun new races, but I would have loved to see some the old races in there too.  I'm still with you guys 100% and look forward to what you all bring to the table!

September 5, 2015 1:25:00 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

You... Don't own the aliens or the lore IP, but you want to make a sequel?

In this new universe the events of SC1 and 2 will never have happened, and the Spathi and Ur-Quan never existed. You will release mod tools so that people can make their own content and change the game.

Maybe it's a good idea to have some dignity and drop the name. I'm sure it will be a great game, but without the lore it's not Star Control anymore, and you all know that.

Anyways, I'm out. I'm too easily embarrassed to be watching this unfold.

September 5, 2015 3:29:37 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I like that "Star Control" means something beyond just one story -- that it defines a genre.

Interesting that some really want a new Star Control developer to expand the original continuity and are "embarrassed" by anything else. We already had an attempt at that; some might say it was an embarrassment.

One day Paul and Fred will return and finish their story the right way. It seems like Stardock has envisioned this and is treating the older games and lore with a lot of respect.

I'm pleasantly optimistic for a "spiritual successor."

September 5, 2015 5:03:37 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting OktoberStorm,

In this new universe the events of SC1 and 2 will never have happened, and the Spathi and Ur-Quan never existed. You will release mod tools so that people can make their own content and change the game.

Maybe it's a good idea to have some dignity and drop the name. I'm sure it will be a great game, but without the lore it's not Star Control anymore, and you all know that.

See: case in point.

They would rather there be no new Star Control game at all than a Star Control game without the Spathi. He won't be alone in feeling that way.

September 5, 2015 5:18:22 PM from Star Control Forums Star Control Forums

The relationship between the Ur-Quan and the new continuity is that something happened during the Precursor era that changed history.

September 5, 2015 7:03:05 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Quoting OktoberStorm,

See: case in point.

They would rather there be no new Star Control game at all than a Star Control game without the Spathi. He won't be alone in feeling that way.

Hm... Yeah, some people will probably feel that way. But I just think you have to make new and compelling races, and do it as well as possible. Star Control is obviously (all) about the writing, and writing great characters and races and combining that with good gameplay will make a really good game.

Star Control II is 23 years old, and it is not like a superhero franchise where they pump out a movie every other year, and the huge fanbase would be angry if they dropped this or that character. The fanbase of Star Control II is realatively small, and the fans from way back when will hopefully appreciate a new creative effort. Those that don't - well... you cannot please everyone. You will hopefully find many new customers.

I understand your worries, but what other options do you have than make as good a game as possible with the rights that you have?

September 7, 2015 1:06:41 AM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

I'm a fan of SC2 in particular, and while I'd prefer to see the original alien races be used, if that is not possible, I'll still be very interested to see what Stardock comes up with. It's certainly better than not trying at all. Ideas such as cuorebrave had are a good place to start.  I will be swaiting the game eagerly.

September 7, 2015 1:13:24 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Just to give a little bit of a background, I would consider myself a "super fan" of Star Control II.  I have played through that game countless of times. I usually play through once a year.  I love it that much.

Saying that, here's my two cents:

No...its not Star Control...at least, not Star Control CLASSIC.   I'm not too worried about this being the end of Star Control CLASSIC.   I'd much rather see a new Star Control with a new storyline, etc than no new Star Control at all.   I'd love to see what new blood will do with the game!  Maybe just try to reference the old aliens in a way during the new storyline?

Yeah, I can agree with this.  If licensing issues (blah!) are that bad, then there's no real choice other than defining what Star Control is for your company.  Just know you HAVE YOUR WORK CUT OUT to satisfy #4!!!  (ie, DON'T SCREW THIS UP)

Agreed.

Modding tools sound absolutely fantastic!  That could really open up the game to those who would help carry on the legacy of Star Control CLASSIC if it doesn't fit the bill of your vision.

However, since I consider myself a Super Fan, trying to do another Star Control CLASSIC might fail anyways in so many different aspects.  Like I said, I'd love to see what some new creative blood can do with a "New" Star Control.   Just like Star Control II was very different than StarFlight. VERY similar games...VERY different story lines, races, etc.

DO THE BEST YOU CAN DO...UNDERSTAND THE LEGACY THAT THIS IS.  You have a great responsibility to create a new game WORTHY of the title Star Control. New storylines, New races, new jokes, new places to visit, new lore, new addiction of playing a game over and over.

September 7, 2015 11:31:19 AM from Star Control Forums Star Control Forums

What I would love to see in the next Star Control

A) Original new characters with storyline

Blend some old mechanics with new, like the exploration of the Star Map, Spheres of Control, the star map along the size of Elite Dangerous, the Mother ship on a grander scale, bring back RAINBOW PLANETS!!!

C) Not sure how I would feel about an arcade style combat system now, not against it but has to be done really well.  Played another game recently that was from Star Control's era, the new Kings Quest game.  It was the same game from the 80's 90's just with updated graphics I felt it fell flat, could have done so much more.

However since this is stardock, I believe you have plenty of expertise in combat systems for these types of games. 

D) Ships more Ships!

September 8, 2015 3:20:41 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting ,

No, of course not.  Why would it be?  If you take away everything that makes an IP what it is, is it still that IP?  Even if you make a game that is 100% identical to Star Control in every way except the lore, then all you have is a clone that isn't Star Control.  I think this is what OktoberStorm was getting at.  That's not to say you can't make a great game, its just that no matter what you try and do, you can't have Star Control without Star Control.  You might as well call it something else and refer to is as a spiritual prequel of sorts.  Yes its semantics, but you'll piss off far fewer people this way.

Quoting ,

It is a sci-fi epic focusing on Humans, Ur-Quan, Spathis, Vux, Pkunk, Orz and a dozen other space-faring races of the galaxy, which was once occupied by an ancient race referred to as the Precursors, which has a high focus on exploration, and interaction with the various alien species.

Quoting ,

I don't see this happening.  Personally, I am disappointed while still on the fence.  I have a number of friends that have played through SC and SC2 numerous times, and most of them see to be none to happy about this.  Here are their words (censored via Edit, apologies if it ruffled some feathers):

"Well, so much for that."

"Definitely a ‘wait and see’ attitude for me here."

"I'm horribly disappointed now. I don't even know where to begin.
I don't even know who the hell would have ever inked a deal to only use the name, not the content pieces of this IP. What a FUBAR situation.
Might as well just create a new adventure space game with all the updates you wanted, new story, new races, etc, call it Space Game X or whatever, and launch it.  Make your own game now."

"Nailed it.  Those aren't challenges.  Those are failures."

September 8, 2015 4:58:46 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Oh my goodness, Cyclone_Jack. What a rude person you are.

September 8, 2015 5:37:54 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

This just seems so closed-minded. Would you really be so incredibly happy "exploring" an already-known galaxy, and "discovering" the same aliens you already know everything about already?? How does that capture the spirit of what made Star Control II so incredible? Maybe ask your friends that, because I think they'll respond in a different way.

I already know Delta Gorno was the home to the Shofixti before they blew it up to take a chunk out of the Urquan. I already know they're honor-bound and trigger-happy. I already know their ships self-destruct when you're nearby. I already know they breed like rabbits. I know their story about how their civilization was inextricably intertwined with the Yehat as their little battle-brothers. I already know they were almost extinct. I already know the Yehat would only come to your side when you could PROVE the Shofixti were not extincted. You really want to drop by Delta Gorno again, and re-meet the same Shofixti that were there last time around?

I'll pass on that, @Cyclone_Jack. That's not true exploration - that's the Cheers-exploration, Where Everybody Knows Your Name. I'll pass because I want to go to Delta Somewhere-Else this time around, and meet someone new, with a whole host of new problems, cultural traditions/values, and quirks. And I want to go in BLIND, because that's what humans will be doing if we ever actually DO reach other stars. Why revisit something familiar when there's a bazillion stars out there to look?

Visiting the same aliens a second time around would be doing just that - visiting the same places again. Have a little faith in the minds at Stardock that can take the TEMPLATE of what made SCII to amazing, and give us a NEW chapter, with NEW faces, NEW races and NEW things to discover.

September 8, 2015 7:40:59 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

It might be cliche' but...

Start the game with a convoy of colony ships with a small military escort heading out to colonize a new system.  Along the way, they encounter a spacial anomaly that transports the entire convoy to another part of the universe.  Several ships are critically damaged and they are forced to land on a barely habitable planet.  Contact is lost with the current region of space and the players task becomes 4X'ing their way to an empire in this new region of space.

Now you're free to create a whole new set of races to meet in a new region of space and hopefully not step on any toes.

Old races (incl. Spathi) are still 'in the game', just no longer accessible from this region of space.  Should you ever solve the IP issues and get permission to use the old races, the goal of a future expansion could be to find your way home.  Then you can worry about who's toes you step on. 

Maybe it's been considered and rejected but, just a thought.

September 8, 2015 9:20:25 PM from Galactic Civilizations III Forums Galactic Civilizations III Forums

Quoting fargetv,

Oh my goodness, Cyclone_Jack. What a rude person you are.

Apologies.  I meant no disrespect, only to share the feedback of others I know (I'll censor the post).  A have a few friends that are more than passionate about the SC games, some of which have completed them dozens of times.

Quoting cuorebrave,

This just seems so closed-minded. Would you really be so incredibly happy "exploring" an already-known galaxy, and "discovering" the same aliens you already know everything about already?? How does that capture the spirit of what made Star Control II so incredible? Maybe ask your friends that, because I think they'll respond in a different way.

Honestly, if well written, yes, I would enjoy that.  To be one of the first captains going and and making contact with these races before the war with the Ur-Quan could be quite fun.  But I do get your point.

Personally, I wouldn't mind a bunch of new faces, but not at the complete removal of the old (sadly, this is not an option).  Being a prequel of sorts allows for many interesting encounters, but how far back does one go to where these other races do not yet exist? And if we go that far back, then surely humans do not exist either.  Does Stardock re-write the universe, replacing all of the faces with something new?  At that point, why call it Star Control?  I think this is the catch-22 that Stardock is in.  Don't get me wrong, I love the SC games, and I have enjoyed other games that are similar, such as Mass Effect (I always get a SC vibe from the 1st ME game), and I'm sure I'll enjoy other games that is similarly designed.

All that said, if they can somehow manage to pull of a believable alteration in which the player is no longer anywhere near the region of space from the 1st two game, and thus not bound to the same races that everyone knows and loves (and doesn't turn into the game that must not be named), then I think they could pull something off.  The key, IMO, is to no longer be in that quadrant.  The real killer is that *none* of the lore can be used.  That eliminates running into a Melnorme Trader in the distant reaches of space, getting sucked into Quasi-space by and inquisitive Arilou-Lalee'lay, or to feel the outstretched hand of the Orz.  There can be absolutely nothing that ties this game to the predecessors, and that's what really hurts.

EDIT: To put it another way, how would fans have reacted if GalCiv III had all new races?  Would it still be GalCiv?

September 8, 2015 10:35:04 PM from Star Control Forums Star Control Forums

It matters a lot to us that fans of the classic Star Control series are part of the new Star Control too.  It's one of the reasons we have stayed in contact with Paul and Fred.

However, at the same time, the Star Control reboot is happening. 

EDIT: To put it another way, how would fans have reacted if GalCiv III had all new races?  Would it still be GalCiv?

If the last GalCiv shipped a quarter century ago and someone was creating a new GalCiv game (i.e. a 4X civilization in space style game) in which the makers were going out of their way to also make it a spiritual successor AND there was also no other game like it on the horizon, then heck yea

September 9, 2015 12:15:42 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

To me the main point of Star Control was the exploration. meeting strange aliens and allying with them or blowing them into space dust.

I honestly hated the arcade style combat myself, it felt counter to the feel of everything else. I honestly hope you guys rework the combat level to some extent, as a 1 vs 1 duel with asteroids style movement just was not fun to me.
If I'm building a united species fleet I'd like to be able to actually use that fleet as a fleet.

I'm fine with none of the original races being present, a new story and new aliens to discover will be exciting imo. 

September 9, 2015 11:00:39 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Not to put too fine a point on it, but the Founders will be the first to know what we are doing on the lore front and be the first to be able to provide direct feedback on the details of how we are handling it, and we are looking forward to hearing it.  It is the core of what the Founder program is about, letting people who are passionate about the game have involvement with it. 

Being a die hard Star Control fan myself there is a lot more to the IP than just the original races from Star Control. The races in Star Control and Star Control 2 went through their own major evolution during the course of the game. In Star Control 1 there were the Androsynth, in Star Control 2 they were destroyed completely. Let's not forget the Chenjesu and the Mmrnmhrm who then both were evolved into the Chmmr during Star Control 2, ultimately destroying the original races. And how can one forget about the newly introduced and fun loving Pkunk who in their love joined with the Yehat and became one race. The Spathi they withdrew from the galaxy and are hiding in their slave shield. There are many more such examples but with so much alien evolution occurring and backstory being discovered in Star Control 2 in the IP it doesn't make sense to even try to reuse the Star Control 1 & 2 aliens in a pre-quel story. Knowing the detailed outcome of an adventure before even experiencing the journey just ruins the journey itself. 

Looking at all these examples one can say a key element of ANY race in the Star Control IP is that they are involved in major race altering events during the course of gameplay. That adventure and experience is one of many key elements to making a Star Control game. We here at Stardock also respect the creative freedoms of others, and I think we can all agree that Ur-Quan storyline should only be advanced by Fred and Paul, and nobody else can tell you what happens with the aliens involved in Star Control 2.  The Star Control universe is a very large place and there are many events happening, some of them in parallel. Will your paths never cross with the aliens in Star Control 1 & 2? Never say never because one never knows what the future holds, but your path will not cross with them in the game's story that we are developing right now. 

September 9, 2015 11:08:20 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I never played SC2, though I did play SC1 on my Genesis.

I loved the cool spinning star chart ...is that still part of the SC series?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000609   Page Render Time: